Saturday, March 17, 2007

Readear turns Reader

Well, the day has finally arrived - I have volunteered to read a chapter for Librivox. I am rather nervous about this, and deliberately offered to read a long overdue chapter, in the half-hope I would be refused. I was, initially, but then I was given the job. Eek.
This is where the all-comers-are-welcome approach really helps: I have heard enough Librivox recordings to feel that I can do at least as well as some of the readers. I will not be as good as many, of course, but I will do my best, and see how it goes.
I am reminded of the first recording I listened to, that of Heart of Darkness, by Kri, and especially of how inspiring I found it. What made it special for me was how natural and unaffected it sounded, like a friend, and not an actor. I suspect it takes a lot of nerve to sound so open.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Chris, you'll do great :) You know we wouldn't refuse to let you record a chapter. You'll be addicted to it like the rest of us in no time!

ChrisHughes said...

Thanks Kri. I was thinking - I have never been pressured into contributing to the project in any way, but have never been made to feel like a second-class citizen on the forum. I just think thats really cool, and ultimately, attracts more enthusiastic volunteers.

Anonymous said...

Yay . . . go Chris! Thanks to you that project will actually get done. I shall look forward to listening . . .

ChrisHughes said...

Thanks Stewart, or as you are known during my commute: Ishmael.
Enjoying The Moby - much more accessible than I expected...

Anonymous said...

Great news, Chris! I'm sure you'll do a fine job. I look forward to listening.

ChrisHughes said...

Thanks Gord. I plan on spelling out the 'dot-oh-are-gee" at the end of the librivox website in the disclaimer as a little homage to your style.